THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
baron chat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:14:45 -0700
is it not true, however, that iodine would make a hypothyroid with
hashimoto's, especially, worse for wear?

i know that the issue of iodine has been polarizing in the thyroid
community, with even the best experts (the ones that do armour, lots of
t3, etc.) saying "take some iodine".  is derry one of them, or is he
being specific to people who are WELL and do not have a thyroid
disease, and is simply explaining the function of iodine in the system
and how it works, and that if you have thyroid disease, then all bets
are off?

thing is, i know of people who go on iodine-free diets (or as much as
they can be iodine-free) to avoid the heck out of iodine because of
their hypothyroid...but wouldn't that cause a deficiency for the other
parts of you that need it?

baron

On Oct 24, 2004, at 9:09 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> <snip>

> Derry said iodine served its function in the thyroid gland, and then
> any
> excess would go to places needed for immunity.  If one took lots of
> iodine, in
> most cases, the thyroid would soak up what it needed for a time and
> when it was
> saturated, that's the point the iodine would go to other places.
> Also, I don't
> remember it all but there's a relationship to connective tissue, and
> Derry
> talked about how important proper functioning of the thyroid and
> iodine were to
> this.

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.