THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Diane Kuhns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:47:40 EST
In a message dated 3/10/02 8:27:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> If one is unsure about their hypoglycemic episodes, it's eye-opening to run
> the  postprandial glucose tests by measuring before one eats, and at 15
> minute intervals during eating and after eating, tapering off to half hour
> intervals at 3 hr, and hour intervals at 5-6 hours.  At times my glucose
> levels run as low as 50 6 hours after ingestion of starchy foods.

Everybody's body is different.

My post prandial response to even the most sugary foods is always good.  I
once took a post prandial test, fasting blood sugar was 100 and two
hoursafter a breakfast of pancakes and syrup, it was 110.   This year I took
another post prandial and an insulin test to boot.  Fasting blood sugar 75,
Post prandial blood sugar (2 hours) 100.  Insulin well within normal bounds
in both fasting and post prandial.  (I ate a Sandwich on bread with some
french fries and a salad.)

My doctor was sure I would show insulin resistance or hypogycemia.  I did not.

FOR ME ONLY, THE DIET I DESCRIBED WORKS WELL.  THE ATKINS OR SUPER HIGH
PROTEIN DIET DOES NOT AGREE WITH ME.

UNFORTUNATELY, EVERYONE WILL PROBABLY NEED TO DISCOVER THEIR IDEAL FORM OF
EATING.

I GOT THE GENETIC JACKPOT NEITHER SIDE OF MY FAMILY ON BOTH SIDES SHOWS ANY
SIGN OF DIABETES FOR AT LEAST 4 GENERATIONS OR MORE. MOST OF MY MATERNAL
GRANDMOTHERS FORBEARS LIVED WELL INTO THEIR EIGHTIES AND NINETIES AS DID MY
MATERNAL GRANDFATHER'S.  CONSIDERING THEIR WAS NO MEDICINE FOR DIABETES IN
THE COLONIAL DAYS, I CAN BE SURE THAT AT LEAST ON THAT SIDE OF MY FAMILY,
THERE HAS BEEN NO DIABETES ON THAT SIDE OF THE FAMILY SINCE 1620.

MY PATERNAL GRANDFATHER LIVED TO BE ALMOST NINETY.  ALTHOUGH MY PATERNAL
GRANDMOTHER DIED YOUNG  OF A HEREDITARY FORM OF HIGH CHOLESTEROL, SHE WAS NOT
DIABETIC.

If any of your forebears has had problems with sugar metabolism, the chances
are greater that you will as well.

Given that diabetes was not really treatable until a 100 years ago,
(especially Type I)
Those individuals with the propensity for severe diabetes died early leaving
no offspring.   Adult onset diabetes (Type II) was not as common because the
average diet did not contain as many processed and sucrose laden foods).  One
of the groups of people with the highest incidence of diabetes are the Pima
Indians.  Before  being put on the reservation, their diet consisted mainly
of meat.  They also ran every where.  When the Spanish came, they began to
adopt the more starch laden diet of their conquerors.  The same is true of
the Eskimo who had no access to any carbohydrates for hundreds of generations
until the late 19th Century.

The process by which the human body is able to protect itself against famine
became hyperdeveloped.  The Eskimo lived in a mild state of Ketosis all the
time, they survived because they were able to reduce the blubbery fat of
their meat into sugar like compounds.   When the Greenland explorers brought
flour and sugar, the Eskimo began to get severly overweight and develop
diabetes.  They had lost the ability to process carbohydrates over the
millenia.

Given all of this, it might be helpful to know if any of our grandparents
came from carbohydrate deprived areas or if they were related to groups that
did not eat carbohydrates because they were not available.

I do have some Indian blood (My paternal grandmother was 1/2 (I believe
Penobscot) Indian.  They lived on the Maine coast and lived on Fish, Game and
Corn.  Unlike the Pima and the Eskimo, this group would not have over
developed the hypoglyemica gene.).  Because their diet was low in saturated
fat, they did survive with the Type III, familial hypercholestemic gene and
pass it on to their children.   Maine fish is lean as is most of the game
caught in the area.  A gene carrying the Type III defect would not affect the
general population of this tribe as their diet was high in good fish oils and
low in animal saturated oils.  This did not become a problem until they were
introduced to lard and pigs.  Although their diet contained corn (which is
sweet), they did not have access to a lot of sugary fatty things.  They may
have had access to honey now and then.  It was not until the 20th century
when candy, lard and SPAM became available to the general public that the
gene became fatal.  (Not completely as it did not have a major effect until
the woman who carried it lready had children and grandchildren.)   I have not
had a chance to see how long lived the men of that tribe were.

Gail K

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]