THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:09:48 -0500
For purely practical reasons, I now play real dumb with certain fragile
doctors.  I do not let it be known that I'm a retired medical school
biochemistry professor.  I leave those spaces blank on occupation.  If I let
on that I know something, anything, about what the doc is or is not doing, I
am guaranteed to get the response you met.  The dumb approach is
easier in some cases.  If I disagree with the doc I don't let it be known,
and I don't follow orders if I don't believe they're based upon sound
reasoning.  This game-playing is practical, and doesn't require much energy.
I  don't enjoy the power games, so I guess this is the passive approach.

The most vulnerable position to be in is in the hospital, for then orders
are carried out and I have no control.  There's no opportunity for feedback.
Fortunately most hospital medicine is based on emergency medicine, surgery,
or
stablization.  And most of the hospital experiences were with highly
competent providers.

From: "Ruth Westcott" <[log in to unmask]>
> BTW, my latest attempt to get my docs to try a Cytomel trial, looked like
> me taking a consumer-approach:  armed with books and Medline citations and
> anecdotal references and a 6 foot Icelandic athletic husband, and several
> years experience as a patient advocate myself.  This appraently angered
> and  annoyed the docs to the extent that they to
> ld me I need to start
> taking Lithium and Respiradone immediately to help with my aggressivity
and
> irritability problem...  Unbelieveable!

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.