From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:01:15 -0500

I just phoned SmithGlaxoKline at 1-866-844-2797 and the man said:

1. Aquafresh Sensitive Maximum Strength is gluten-free and IS still being manufactured. He said, "You may not be able to find it, but it is gluten-free." Duh.

2. Sensodyne Pro-namel is completely gluten-free.

3. All other strains (his word) of Sensodyne "may contain a trace of gluten." He would not elaborate and when I questioned him what they mean by a trace, he repeated his script and said, "It's so little, they don't put it on the label." He was clueless about 20 ppm or anything more scientific.

I've been using Sensodyne for many years, presumably without reacting (according to tests). I will, however, switch to Pro-Namel. Aside from being more comfortable about it, it also shows the company that there is a market for gf products, and we won't buy those with an undefined "trace". I just wish I hadn't started a new tube of the old stuff. This isn't cheap.

There is a website on the toothpaste, if anyone wants to go further. www.sensodyne.com.

If you call, be prepared to be very patient. The guy who answered sounded like answering the phone was beneath him or not his regular job. I was supposed to know the names of each, exact product a head of time, and he'd put me on hold and look up one at a time. There was no such thing as... I'll send you a list of gf toothpastes or here's where you can go online to find out where Aquafresh is sold. Maybe you'll have better luck, especially if someone else answers the phone.

Lin