From:
Denis Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denis Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:45:02 -0400

 *Hi everyone,
*
I am sorry about the considerable delay in transmitting this summary. It has
been a busy week and the help just didn't stop coming in!! Thank you so much
to everyone that helped out with the suggestions.*

1. Pamela's cake mixes*
I am in the same situation - tonight I found that Pamela's luscious
chocolate cake can be made egg-free. Wahoo. This cake always turns out
wonderfully and is fool and bomb-proof. The extra ingredients to the cake
mix are water, egg-replacer and oil. (The recipe for egg-free is on the side
of the packet at the bottom of the other options.)

*2. Namaste mixes*.  They are wonderful.  I use the Spice Cake mix and have
many variations.  You can make carrot cake from this mix.  I add
blueberries, coconut and chopped pecans with a struesel topping in a 9x13
pan for a great coffeecake.  They have several flavors.  Look at a natural
food store for the mix.

*3. 123 Gluten Free* has both yellow and devils food chocolate that meet
your needs.  They do not suggest egg replacer but there are egg sub recipes
on the box that are great.  www.123glutenfree.com

*4. Tenzo Artisan*
We routinely do these types of cakes in our bakery in frederick, maryland.
 We will substitute soy, rice or even almond milk for the dairy, and then
use the ener-g egg replacer. These substitutes seem to work best in those
cakes which use an alternative oil source (ie vegetable oil) than butter
(which could be substituted with earth balance or flesihmanns unsalted
margarine - beware thst other fleismanns may contain dairy) .  Another
recipe option would be to look for vegan recipes, and then just substitue a
gf flour for the wheat flour

5. Louisiana Best Chocolate Cake (
http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=23)
 I have been making this cake since 1966. It was always a favorite with
everyone. It is an easy cake to make and is delicious served warm. Forget a
mixer this cake just needs to be stirred. Although converted to gluten free,
I have written this recipe mostly with the original ingredients. I think it
would be fine to substitute the Crisco and Butter with coconut oil or an oil
of your choice. This is the first cake or baked good that I have made using
only sorghum flour. It turned out wonderful, tender, moist, rich flavor and
delicious! What a great surprise. I did let the cake cool somewhat before I
poured on the icing because I was not sure if the cake would be sturdy
enough to hold the icing. Plus I do not like a cake too moist. The cake held
the icing just fine. I omitted the pecans in the icing & it was still
delicious!

*6. **Gluten Free Essentials*
We have a Extreme Chocolate Cake and a Yellow Vetvet cake that make great
Birthday cakes. All our products are gluten, nut, dairy, milk, egg free. The
recipe does call for butter and eggs but both can be substitured with
margerine or egg substiture.
Check out our site at www.gfessentials.com Hope this helps you find the
perfect cake for your party.

*7. *We just completed an article on gluten, dairy, egg and nut free cakes
for the latest issue of *Living Without Magazine (April/May). * The recipes
are from a new cookbook by Elizabeth Gordon that will be released in April.
I had to test one of the recipes for the cover shot (using eggs in my
version) and the cupcakes were excellent.  The magazine has just hit the
stands, as they say.  You can probably find the recipes on the LWO web
site.  And keep an eye out for Elizabeth’s cookbook.

*8. *I use the *Gluten Free Pantry *Decadent Chocolate Cake mix and
substitute water for the butter milk and egg replacer for the eggs.  A
friend suggested doubling the amount of egg replacer used for each egg but
using the same amount of water (ie 3 teaspoons and 2 Tablespoons for each
egg).
For frosting, I use the buttercream recipe off the side of the
confectioner's sugar box.  I use dairy free margarine and substitute water
for the milk.

*9. Mr. Ritt's Gluten Free Bakery *
This will make an inclusive search for a vegan cake recipe That will exclude
the dairy and eggs. Usually, unless the cake uses nut flours, you can
substitute many of the gluten free all purpose flours for wheat flour, and
the other ingredients will usually have been substituted somehow.  We make 3
very good blends, 2 of which are all purpose, which our customers will
recommend using this method. You can also use some of the readily available
substitutes that are out there, just be sure no matter what you use, do not
overmix your batter or it will make a very rubbery cake, especially when
using egg substitutes rather than fruit.

*10.* If you live near the Philadelphia area you can go to *Sweet Freedom
Bakery* on South Street and get a chocolate chip cookie cake or try Mr.
Ritts Bakery in Millville NJ for a delicious cake.  They both make gluten
free, dairy free and some egg free varieties.

*11.* Arrange some seasonal fruit on a platter in the shape of a cake and
stick in candles. We made this for our daughter's birthday many years back
on a 40 degree C plus day (104F +) where any traditional birthday cake would
not have survived in that heat. It was a great success with everyone.

*12.* I just got* "The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook" by Cybele
Pascal.* There is a chapter of cakes that fit your requirements. I
haven't baked any
yet, but my experience is that this combination of substitutions is very
difficult and it is best to start with a recipe that doesn't require any.
 All these fit that bill.  I have made some of her muffins and liked the
results.  You might also check her website at www.cybelepascal.com.  Another
source is *Lisa Lundy *who has a website at www.thesuperallergycookbook.com.

*13. *I just tried *The Pure Pantry brand* and was really impressed.

Thanks again,

Denis
--
Dealing with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity?
Get updated facts for the food you need. www.myGlutenFacts.com