VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Getchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Catherine Getchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:21:13 -0500
I have to say I agree with Mike here.  A bit of realism for everyone's day:
Having a disability necessarily means that sometimes, we can't magically do
things "out of the box."  I'm a rehab counselor, and my caseload consists
primarily of people with physical, emotional,  and cognitive disabilities.
So I'm constantly helping people buy wheelchairs, make modifications to
their cars so they can drive them, find just that right medication that
allows them to overcome a mental health condition sufficiently to work,
learn to use Dragon Naturally Speaking so they can use the computer, you get
the drift.  Almost everyone I work with needs some kind of modification in
order to function at their maximum.  So we blind people are not unique in
not having things right out of the box.  I also have to point out that many
of my coworkers across the state who are blind are frustrated with JAWS
because they never bothered to learn it well.  Granted it comes more easily
to some than others.  But with just a little study and a lot of on-the-job
practice, I can do everything on the computer that I need to for my job and
personal use, and my job is quite computer-intensive.  So no, we can't have
it out of the box, but there are many screen reader options, including using
a demo of one of the high-end models if you can't afford to buy the real
thing.  It takes some time, some study, but frankly, my sighted coworkers
are awful at using the computer, and they often wish it were easier, too.
I'm not saying there isn't work to be done in getting companies like
Microsoft to make their software more accessibility-friendly.  I'm saying we
have no right to whine until we've learned to use all the features our
screen readers have to offer.  Just my two cents.
Catherine Getchell