C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:12:40 -0500
Never heard of CP-related heart disease--I think your doc is full of it (and himself).  Karl, I have very mild hemi (left side) and I've been treated, successfully, for Paroxysmal Supra Ventricular Tachycardia (heart just decides to go racing at 140-190BPM with no external stimuli) for 22 years.  I asked every cardiologist who would answer if they had ever seen any type of heart disease where CP is a primary factor, and none of them had.  Secondary?  Well, yeah, if your disability leads you to a sedentary lifestyle, but you have no problem there, obviously.  110% of standard on the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) for Males 62+ is a 1 Mile run under 14:51. 2X that in a walk is doing remarkably well!!!

Physical and Chemical stress tests:

I've had both and prefer the physical--if I can get my heart rate fast enough.  With the meds I take, getting the HR fast enough to stress the heart is a problem.  Don't take the meds, though, and the HR won't come down after the test.  The physical test simply feels like your exercising while hooked up to a 12-lead, O2 Sat monitor and spirometer.  If things feel funny, you simply stop.

The chemical test, I don't like.  It uses drugs that either makes the heart beat faster/stronger or  dialate the blood vessels.  I got a cocktail of both.  Some folks do fine and actually prefer the chemical test as they dread how exercise makes them feel.  To me, the chem test was akin to a bad panic attack.  Usually backing off on the drip causes the heart to return to normal rhythm, etc.  If your heart won't slow down they will IV push something like Verapamil to slow it.

If it were me...push for another cardiologist, expert or no.  You are his CUSTOMER and he works for YOU!  You wouldn't accept that BS from your mechanic, why accept it from a prima-donna doctor.  This was found on a routine physical, so it's unlikely that anything adverse is going to happen while you find a decent cardiologist.

My tuppence.

Kyle Cleveland