VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:55:53 -0500
  NPR Music's Fantastic iPhone App Makes You Thankful for
Multitasking
  BY Dan Nosowitz Wed Jun 23, 2010

iOS 4's most controversial new feature is multitasking.  Is it
really
multitasking, or just a glorified app switcher? The jury's still
out, but apps
like the brand-new NPR Music apps make me thankful for even the
limited
multitasking now available.  But this isn't about iOS 4--there's
been plenty of
digital ink spilled on that already.  Let's talk NPR Music!
NPR is one of the best sources for streaming music (including
video footage),
period.  There's the Tiny Desk Concert series, which gets popular
musicians to
play a short set behind a desk in NPR's cluttered office.  (That
can get a little
hairy for a band like Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes,
which has about
sixty-five members.) NPR is one of the most reliable and
high-quality gatherers
of live video from festivals, be it SXSW or Bonnaroo.  And
lately, NPR has taken
to streaming entire albums, for free, before release, including
such
high-profile albums as The National's High Violet.
  Then, of course, there are the legions of local shows from more
than 75 public
radio stations, plus the shows we all know and love, like All
Songs Considered
and the tapings from the WXPN World Cafe venue in Philadelphia.
That adds up to
>do 300 new features monthly.
  The NPR app brings all of that, including a nice,
easy-to-search directory of
>tists.  Aside from the streaming music, there are also a ton of
news stories,
reviews, interviews, and other assorted music journalism.  It has
integration
with Twitter and Facebook, so you can let everyone know how
amazing The Tallest
Man on Earth is in concert (answer: extremely.  Extremely
amazing.).
  I've only played around with it briefly, but over Wi-Fi, music
streams very
quickly and in pretty high quality.  There are a few stutters
(especially while
searching), but that's a minor quibble for what's a really
fantastic app.  Pop,
folk, jazz, classical, rock, whatever: If you take your music
seriously, this is
a great resource.
  NPR Music is available in the App Store now, for free.
  Dan Nosowitz, the author of this post, can be followed on
Twitter, corresponded
with via email, and stalked in San Francisco (no link for that
one--you'll have
to do the legwork yourself).
  Copyright Ággc) 2010 Mansueto Ventures LLC.  All rights
reservedddNPR Music's Fantastic iPhone App Makes You Thankful for

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]