AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:22:10 -0800
From:
Collins Ouko <[log in to unmask]>

             RENEW YOUR AAM MEMBERSHIP FOR $25!!!!

   MAIL YOUR CHECK TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

You gotta be kidding,
The election of Gadaffi as the chairman of AU probably set whole continet a decade or two back.
Gadaffi is not the man to champion a united Africa, he neither believes in nor supports democracy.
I would be willing to listen to that idea of US of Africa if it was espoused by a Lumumba, Nkurumah, Mandela, Annan or any of the other greats from Africa.
To listen to Gaddaffi talking about a united Africa is both insulting and hypocrytical.
Besides, a united Africa is the least in the long list of Africa's needs and problems.
Until the whole continent is a democracy this idea will remain a dream.
We can't get Sudan to stop killing its citizens, we can't get Somalia to function as a nation.
The East African countries can't agree on their "union", and let's not even get started on Zimbabwe, Chad, Zaire or Nigeria.
And are you serious that you are glad Gaddaffi is the  Chairman of AU?
Nothing aginst the man, but he neither  believes in what the AU stands for nor what the rest of the continent is trying to achieve.
US of Africa gets a NO vote from me.

---- Isaac Settro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

=============

             RENEW YOUR AAM MEMBERSHIP FOR $25!!!!

   MAIL YOUR CHECK TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

Just recently at the African Union Summit in Ethiopia,
Libyan Leader Colonel Kaddafi and other leaders brought back to the
podium the idea of forming the United States of Africa.
This idea was first propounded by the likes of Nkrumah, Lumumba,
Tubman, Sekou Toure et al, during the era of the Organization of
African Unity (OAU).

I want to congratulate the Libyan leader for his ascendancy to the
leadership of the African Union and his bold vision of re-articulating
the dream of having a  United States of Africa.
This dream is overdue and it is time that we work with the Libyan
leader and other well meaning Africans to see this dream come true.
Here are few points i will like to state here as a way forward:

- that membership into the Union be voluntary;

- that the  capital city of the union be Johanesburg, South Africa if they decide to be a member;

- that the governance structure of the Union be based on sound democratic principle within the

   framework of the federal system;

- that the model of the United States of America be a stepping stone in the right direction;

- that a serious publicity be launched globally to encourage African governments  and Africans to accept this idea;

- that debates be held around the continent and the diaspora for detail resolution in achieving this monumental dream.

Such union will unite Africa and bring economic growth to the dark
continent of the world. It will also enhance democratic values
throughout the continent. It is time that we debate this concept and at
the end come up with the best proposal to push our continent forward.

I hope the Libyan leader will try to form a coalition of Africans ( be
it poor, middle class or rich ) in achieving this goal. The world is
looking and it is time for a change for a better tomorrow on the dark
continent of Africa.

Isettro