Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:27:58 -0400

Below are the responses I got about Santa Fe, Taos and Utah. Thanks to people who provided information.
Amy, Boston

I am not sure about restaurants in Taos, NM, but in Santa Fe there is the usual Outback, for shopping there is a Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods, Wild oats. In Albuquerque there is an amazing Gluten Free Restaurant Paisano's. Here is their website.

http://www.paisanosabq.com/
In Santa Fe -
For shopping: There is a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Wild Oats in Santa Fe- and they all carry GF goodies, frozen bread, mixes, non-dairy milks, chips, etc. Slightly south of town on Cerrillos is the Natural Grocer/Vitamin Cottage; they carry some well known gluten-free items, too. Check out the Farmer's Market- Saturdays and one weekday (this changes with the seasons).

For dining in Santa Fe: Pranzo- an Italian place near the Guadalupe/Railyard district, will make GF pasta- if you call ahead. Annapurna (Ayurvedic vegetarian)- has GF menu items. Bumble Bee Baja- Tacos and bowls (fast food) are made from white corn- the fish tacos and various "bowls" used to be GF, please double check. Coyote Cafe- If you call a day or two ahead, they will accommodate you. The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum Cafe says call ahead; but they may do lunch only. Not sure. Worth a phone call. Body Cafe has organic, vegan and gluten-free choices. Acqua Santa will accommodate; please call ahead.

Dining Tip: New Mexico is famous for its red and green chile. The green chile here usually contains flour (and they like to put green chile on everything). A common ordering question is: red or green? This is a chile question. "Christmas" means both. Both red and green chile may contain flour- but red is less likely to. Always ask! Make sure shrimp is not boiled in beer; ask if omelets contain pancake batter, and if tuna or chicken salads, burgers, and crab/fish cakes contain breadcrumbs. As we celiacs know, dining out is risky!
Try The Shed in Santa Fe <http://www.sfshed.com/> --good food, and I've found
the servers knowledgeable and wiling to check with the kitchen on ingredients.
It's also relatively inexpensive. I think we ate at the Zia Diner
<http://www.ziadiner.com/> once, as well.
I've generally had good meals everywhere in Santa Fe. So many of the restaurants cater to relateively high-end tourists, so it's pretty easy to find food.

There are 2 Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's in Santa Fe if you want packaged
goods. <http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/StoreList.php?zipcode=87505&source=header&x=0&y=0>;
<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&ll=35.4,-106.638794&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=113004048650495608919.00000111ed1791c075618&z=10>
If you're traveling on I-25 between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, you might want to
stop in Bernalillo and eat at The Range Cafe <http://www.rangecafe.com/>. Good
food, not too expensive, knowledgeable wait staff & kitchen, and a couple of
great desserts. The atmosphere is also wonderful.
___________________________________
We have a wonderful, locally-owned grocery store in Taos, Cid's.? It is very well stocked with all kinds of health foods, and has a good selection of GF products.??
_____________________________________

There is a little hole in the wall mexican restaurant in Taos that understands GF.? I think the wife at least is gf in the family.? I can't remember the name but it is on a corner of Paseo del Pueblo Norte in the shopping/tourist district. I just looked at this map

http://us.mc806.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?&.rand=691277812&da=0?which marks out the Best Western Kachina where I stayed a few blocks north, and from memory I'm guessing the corner was either Kit Carson Road (Also named Don Fernando St), or the next block south Quesnel St,? From the map the short little streets?close together look like they would be the shopping district.? The restaurant entrance is on the side and the building sits kitty corner on the corner?lot.

The food was very good, and prices reasonable for Taos..

_______________________________________-
?
?In Santa Fe, you? will dine very well, but be extremely careful to ask about any red or green chile.? Many restaurants thicken their chile with flour.

I can recommend the Guadaloupe Cafe for breakfast in Santa Fe, their red chile is AWESOME, and no flour.? I even buy a gallon of it and bring it back to colorado and freeze it!?

?

Cafe Pasqual's will accommodate you and is wonderful. There's always a line.

Go to La Fonda Hotel on the Plaza and if the roof is open, have a margarita and watch the sunset - sublime! Ristra in Santa Fe is another wonderful restaurant, not cheap, but worth every penny. If they have elk tenderloin on the menu, don't miss it. Very accommodating.

El Farol is another good place for tapas, many options.

?

Zia Diner in Santa Fe good breakfast

?

La Choza - authentic southwestern

?

Cafe Oasis is organic but I haven't been there yet.

?

Also another recommendation is the Georgia O'Keefe cafe -lunch cheaper than dinner

??

Taos has a wonderful restaurant on the Plaza I think called John's? - again, expensive and fabulous. There are also restaurants right as you come into town on the right with patios that you will be able to eat at.

?

As far as Bryce and Zion - things are more spread out and park-like. I would strongly suggest packing a lunch initially and having snacks with you.?