Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:43:54 -0400

As always, there is some doubt whether clogged ears can be attributed
to CD alone.
One person said yes, and 9 said no.
Here are responses I have gotten:

1) I have clogged up ears and sometimes ringing.  When this first
happened, it seemed like I had hearing loss too.  I am not sure if
that is true- haven't been tested.  Also pain that comes and goes.
These symptoms eventually turned into Chronic ear infections.  I
believe this is all due to Sjogren's and not necessarily CD.  My
understanding is that many people with CD also have Sjogrens.  Other
symptoms of Sjogrens:
Dry Eyes
Dry Mouth
Nose bleeds
Vaginal dryness/discomfort
Rashes (I'm assuming because your skin feels dry too)

2) My ears have been clogged practically my entire life!  I go to the
ear doc every couple of years and everytime I go he pulls out this
humongous funnel-shaped wad of icky looking wax--often looking tinged
with dried blood.  He always remarks how much wax and asks about the
dried red substance (like I am going to spontaneously figure this out
on my own between visits).  lol  The last time I went the nurse gave
me this disgusted look, as tho I was remiss in my ear cleaning
hygiene or something.  I have tried just about everything except
setting my ears on fire to get the wax out on my own.  Nothing has
worked for me so far.  But, if your friend is not talking about ear
wax, but the feeling of clogged ears, I do have that also and I
notice it anytime I ingest foods or am around anything which I am
allergic to (not necessarily glutens).  I also had major problems
with ear infections as a child.  So, yes, gluten causes it (among
other things) for me.

3) I never ingest gluten, but I get clogged ears from using a CPAP
machine for sleep apnea during sleep, with a nasal interface (seals
the nose).

4) I was told years ago that I have defective eustacean tubes (or
however that's spelled) and I have allergies, which caused my ears to
be prone to ear infections or blocking up, but I can't see how it can
connect to eating gluten. Some people get congested from dairy
products, dust, mold, pet dander, etc., which can lead to ear and
sinus issues.

Lisa