From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:27:50 -0500
Hi Gary.

I bought a serial cable with a female DB9 connector on each end and I
downloaded the MCP2000 memory control program from Kenwood.

The software is free, so the only cost is for the cable.  I bought mine at
Radio Shack.

Anyway, this allows me to use my computer to load the memories, and to
adjust the menu options from my computer.  The software works well with
JAWS, and it makes programming the radio a breeze.  It is especially handy
for storing repeaters that use PL tone access, as you can store all of the
information in a memory and call it up when you want to use that
repeater.  You can also save all of the programming information to your
computer's hard disk so that if you ever need to reset the radio, you need
only to upload your settings again after you do the reset.

The radio is accessible without making this purchase, but I found that it
takes most of the guesswork out to program it from the computer.

73, de Lou K2LKK