From:
Jimmy Podsim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jimmy Podsim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:09:09 -0600
This must just be in the area your in because I'm not seeing this around
here.  I've seen several who started with Echo link and talked to many hams
all over the world.  Once they made up their minds on what radio they wanted
and just how far they wanted to take their ham radio ticket, it wasn't long
before they were buying radios.  Some of these people live in apartments or
government housing where they aren't allowed to put up antennas.  They have
radios in their cars and when they go out they always have the radios on and
talk.  Really they talk more on their radios than echo link, but if they
want to talk from home, that's the only option they have.  Some people
aren't lucky enough to be in a location where they can use handy talkies to
hit repeaters, so they use echo link.  What is going to kill ham radio is
the people who don't welcome or go with the changes.  Just think, if
everybody would have been against the motorcar we'd all still be walking and
feeding horses which would end up with today's prices costing even more.

The deal is packing it in because you don't like something is going to kill
the hobby faster than just not using the new technology and letting those
who want to do so.  If you don't want echo link or IRLP on your repeater,
then it's simple, don't put it on there.  If you don't want to hear it, then
stay off of systems that have it.    It's a personal choice that one has to
make and some choose echo link, but many others choose radio.  Where I live
we have a link system that covers a large part of South Texas.  This system
has both echo link and IRLP but 95% of the traffic on the system is still
RF.  We have some friends who have moved out of the area and we can't seem
to make connections on HF so they use echo link to keep track of all their
friends in this area.  We are actively trying to get an RF link and Repeater
into that area, but that costs and is a slow process so I'm glad we can
still make connection with them.

Radios today are all software driven, so in a matter of fact they are
computers with built in transmitters and receivers, so why can't one use
their computer to talk to a repeater and there fore talk to other hams who
are using radios?  Your still doing the same thing only using a different
path to get there.  Your still talking to Joe blow out there in his car 60
miles away.

... 73 ... KD5QHH ...  Jimmy ...
http://www.podsim.us
MSN or windows live... [log in to unmask]
Skype, jimmy.podsim ...blind people please note the period between the
names.
Have a great day!