VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Hilbert Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Hilbert Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:59:07 -0400
Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Meijer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [The vOICe] Eyes-free virtual Android tablet
Date: March 11, 2013 4:26:29 PM EDT
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi All,

For your information. The appended posting is copied from the eyes-free list.
I haven't tried it myself, but judging from the reactions on the eyes-free list
it appears to generally work fine. It offers a way to play with Android under
Windows in an accessible way.

Best wishes,

Peter Meijer

The vOICe for Android
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/android.htm

Eyes-free virtual Android tablet.

Greetings,
We have an Eyes Free Virtual Android Tablet that we would like to share and it's
free.
Thanks to all the heavy lifting already done by the Android x86 project!
https://sites.google.com/a/android-x86.org/web/
The Android x86 project has done a great job and deserves credit for providing
this version of Android.
I could not have done this without help from my great friend Constantine.
Of course all of this would not be possible without the Android Open Source
Project and Eyes Free Project from Google.
We have been able to install the Android x86 into a Virtual Machine (VM) using
Virtual Box (VBox) and have manually enabled Accessibility with Talkback, Pico
TTS, Explore By Touch, and Enhanced Web Scripts. This means you can import this
Android image into your VBox and it should come up with accessibility and you
will just need to enter your Google Account and you should be good to go.
Maybe the Google Eyes Free developers can tell us how to enable accessibility
from the keyboard.  <grin>

While many things seem to be working we are bound to find some issues and why
keep that to ourselves. <smile>
This assumes you have installed Virtual Box on your computer which is available
for Windows, Linux, and even Mac. (smile>
You can download Virtual Box 4.2.8 here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
At least on Windows you should be fine if you install with all of the defaults.
Most of VBox seems accessible on Windows with NVDA.
For now you can get this image from my Google Drive:
Android_x86_Eyes_Free.ova -
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Cp7CmU3ZJsTU5qQl9wbThXQmc/edit?usp=sharing
We will come up with better ways to share if there is ongoing interest.

When the image file is downloaded you should be able to open it and it will
import into VBox.
 You may get some VBox pop ups that you will need to confirm and then it should
start.
If you continue to get these they usually have a checkbox to disable.
You will know when it is up and running when you hear those familiar sounds.

We realize we are throwing this out there with very little information so feel
free to ask questions.
Notes:

- By default VBox will capture the keyboard and mouse when you press the right
ctrl key or mouse click in the window.  In order to get back to your other
windows press the right ctrl again.

Have fun navigating Android with your keyboard/mouse and let us know all the
tricks you learn. <smile>
- On Windows the key to the right of the right alt key is the menu key
- The arrow keys will help you navigate
- The esc key is like back/home

- Feel free to make any changes to the settings
- Screen lock was turned off to avoid challenges with unlocking
- Display timeout was set to 30 minutes
- You can enable developer options if you desire
- With developer options you can make the display stay awake
- The power off button is the last settings menu entry

Enjoy!
Russ

Source URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/eyes-free/dJaRVIarm9w

To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to [log in to unmask]
with "unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the subject line. To subscribe
again, send a blank e-mail to [log in to unmask] with
"subscribe" in the subject line, and next reply to the confirmation message.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]