VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 18:06:11 -0800
Hi all,

I've decided to get a new LASER printer or four-in-one. I'd prefer a
black and white that is both Windows and Mac compatible, and I want
something with physical buttons and some level of accessibility with
respect to the various functions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

A month or so ago, I posted to this list about some of the problems I
was having with my current four-in-one. It's a Brother MFC-J615W. On the
advice of the tech who set it up for me, I didn't install the software
that came with it to my Windows netbook, but I discovered that I could
go into the Control Panel>Find and Fix Problems>Use a Printer to find
and install the correct drivers from there. Generally speaking, I like
the Brother. It's got physical buttons, and for some tasks, I can go
into Devices and Printers on the computer to find out that the printer
is out of ink, paper, etc. I don't like that, for many tasks, like
faxing, I need to memorize long series of key presses with minimal
feedback along the way to know how well the task is going.what I like
even less is that the device is buggy about toner replacement. According
to the manual, the black cartridge is supposed to print about 450 pages;
the magenta, cyan, and yellow cartridges are supposed to print about 350
pages; and each cartridge is supposed to be replaced independently of
the others. My experience is that the black prints about half of what it
is supposed to and that all cartridges need to be replaced at the same
time, regardless of how few color pages have been printed. And yes, I've
tried fooling the printer by removing all four cartridges and
reinserting them, changing the black and leaving the others alone. Still
I need to spend nearly a hundred dollars unnecessarily. so for that, I
may as well go LASER.

The thing is that, now that I've gotten a taste of the other functions,
I actually want to use them regularly. Are there devices that are
accessible and that are consistent with a home office budget?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]