VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jack and Becky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack and Becky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 00:16:15 -0600
Oh I'm with you guys in entirety.
Things are better for us deaf blind folks than they have ever
been from a quality of life stand point.  Much of this has to do
with modern technology if that is you  can find someone to buy it
for you, LOL, and the other gradually changing social attitudes.
I know folks it doesn't seem as if we are making head way but we
are.  In any case as far as this old Texas boy is concerned the
best thing about
THE GOOD OLD DAYS
Is that they are over.
My mama, May she rest in peace grew in the depression and could
tell you some stories that would curl your toenails!
My Very best to all
Jack

lane!

>Looking a little further into the future, does anyone remember
getting a
>hole big box of tapes from RFB & D, and the only thing labeled on
the tape
>was "RFB & D?"  Not even the title of the book or anything, but
these flimsy
>little Braille Cards that said what pages were covered on what
tape?  That
>card was almost useless, and then there were the pages with the
charts on
>them that took forever to read!

unfortunately),
>> and
>> reel to reel tapes were the only options for studying in
college;
>> *Research took hours and hours, and if you were lucky, you got a
reader
>> now
>> and then who knew how to use the card catalog!
>> *You stayed in your dorm room or the library or inside somewhere
to read
>> while all your friends sat in the grass on warm days and
studied;
>> * Your reader called to cancel his/her reading session at the
last minute!
>> * Very few services were provided for blind or other disabled
students;
>> The positive aspects of all of this was that we learned to
manage, adapt,
>> create and grow, and use tact, and not expect the world to cater
to us.