VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:50:49 -0800
Nan,

I don't know of data collection tools specifically, but I find that the best
way to tap into this type of background information is by hunting down
books, working with university libraries, and getting into academic
journals. Lately, for example, I've been on the prowl for information about
pre-gold rush California for a possible novel, so I've been searching for
books on online stores like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, buying lots of
lunches for a friend with unlimited university library privileges, and
planning trips to historical societies to get information copied or
recorded. Once you get into your subject matter, you can find discussion
lists and specialized databanks, which can stream line things.

ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]