VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:43:55 -0400
Hi Harry

Thanks so much for the update. It is certainly interesting to see all
the things that have to align for accessible cellphone service.

First the handset has to be accessible

Then the network provider has to agree to include accessible handsets.

Both of these under the ADA should in my head be no-brainers but then I
am no lawyer. I also feel out of my depth talking abny applicable FCC
regs, but what can be done by Motorola to promote inclusion of
accessible equipment in the list used by Boost? Since other networks
use this equipment fine, what technological or other arguments would
Boost cite for not doing it?

I expect if Boost is competing on price, which it sounds like to me
that OF COURSE there will be a market among the blind and people with
other disabilities who are disproportionately low-income and may have
acute needs for mobile communications. So in my head, not doing it is
not an option and the question should be how to get it done most
efficiently. But there is always also something to be said for the
carrot and the stick.

In any case THANKS for your work on this.

DoreneC