VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:08:25 -0400
Hi to all.

Terri has done a great job of mentioning some of the financial barriers. Let me add a few more, both financial and otherwise.

1) Because nearly 70% of the blind are unemployed (never mind the underemployed numbers), they won't have the financial resources to pay for a full-page braille display once it arrives. This means that any company selling the product will be primarily selling it to state and private rehabilitation agencies, groups that are now cash-strapped and will continue to remain so for the foreseeable future..

2) While a full-page braille display may be workable for desktop computers, it probably isn't going to be so workable for the I-phone portables that people will be carrying in their pockets. The problem here is the size of the braille cell. Unlike print, braille cells are always the same size--anything larger or smaller, and the blind person won't be able to read it.

3) One more point about braille versus print should be mentioned, and this comes from a very fast braille reader. Your eyes can take in more at one time than your fingers--no matter how fast a braille reader you are, your fingers still do not see what's ahead of them until you get there. With your eyes, you can instantaneously scan a page and find what you want. With your fingers, you can scan a page a word at a time, but it will take a while longer to find what you are looking for, simply because you cannot read everything at once.

Like Terri, I hope this gives those reading some of the issues involved in creating and using a full-page braille display.

Ted