VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 08:35:55 -0500
Hi to all.

While Albert makes some good suggestions, there are a couple of changes that I advocate (I've also experimented with this) that may assist in making the ripping process easier for blind people.

First, in Windows Media 11, you don't need to use the Options/Tools menu to set this up if you have JAWS 9 or 10. Once you open Windows Media 11, you can tab through the window using the tab key webstyle. This is good, because while some of the same options are available that can be found under Options, they are much better defined when you press the spacebar on them and then arrow up and down through them in Windows Media player's main window. For example, the percentages listed in the tools menu now become kbps--which is much more useful in determining what quality you want to use. I've also learned through the RIP menus inside the Windows Media window that recording in the Windows Media format gives as good of sound using a lot fewer kbps than the MP3 option, meaning you can save on file space.

One thing on my system which I haven't unchecked (and I don't know how to recheck it if I were to uncheck it) is the menu of options that comes up when I place a CD in the CD-drive without opening the Windows Media player first. This box (you arrow up and down through it) gives me options like recording from Windows Media player, Recording from Realplayer, playing from the Windows Media player or Realplayer or Winamp, viewing a tracklist, etc. If this box opened the first time you popped in a CD and you checked the "don't show me this again" feature, the box will not show up again, and I don't recall how to reset that up--and it's an excellent box to have handy.

It is quite possible to rip only selected songs from the CD. Once the CD is in the drive and JAWS begins to read the main window inside Windows Media player, I tab quickly down until I find the "Stop Rip" button and press it. I then press Shift+Tab once, and i am in a list of CD tracks all checked for ripping. Using the arrow keys and the spacebar, I then uncheck the tracks I don't want to rip (obviously, I have to tab very fast through the screen before the first song has completely ripped to be able to uncheck it). I then tab down once, press the "Start Rip" button and shift+tab twice to review the list and see which of the songs I've checked have completed ripping.

Finally, I did check the "Automatically Rip to CD" option in the options menu in the Windows Media player, and it has actually made ripping for me easier. It does not override the box I was referring to earlier that occurs when I first put a CD in the CD-drive without Windows Media running. Similarly, it does not automatically rip when I first open Windows Media player before putting the CD in the CD drive (if I use that route, I still have to tab through the main window and tell the media player to start ripping). However, if I keep the Windows Media player open after ripping my first CD, all subsequent CDS will begin ripping automatically after I insert them, which saves some time. Experimentation shows that is still possible to rip only individual CD tracks even with this option checked.

Now I know this is not step-by-step, but I hope it makes those reading it realize that recording from the Windows Media player can be made a little easier, and it is possible for a blind person to select specific tracks to be ripped from a CD without ripping the entire CD and then going back and junking the tracks you don't want.

Ted