VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:50:59 -0700
Harry,

Man, you are going to have a heart attack if you don't relax a bit. (smile)

I read the entire post you sent, and it looks to me like they are doing
quite a bit on access.  As far as having to buy a third party screen reader,
it was we blind people who forced that particular animal.  When Microsoft
first came out with the idea of building in some screen reading function to
the OS, the blind community had a virtual fit.  Microsoft was accused of
trying to drive all the other Screen reading companies out of business and
controlling the entire market.  So, which way do we want it?

As far as the cost, I agree with you, but that is the fault of the Screen
Reading companies, not Microsoft.  I have been having a good bit of luck
with Serotek's System Access though which is only about  a third of the
price of JAWS and works just as  well for most functions.

As far as Apple's built in screen reader, it is nice, ... now.  I need to
point out though that Apple resisted doing anything on access for years and
years and has only recently seen the light.  I'm not saying that we
shouldn't use Apple or that we should criticize them, just that Microsoft
has been at least trying to work with us for a lot longer than Apple.

Bill