VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:41:55 -0400
Hello Fellow Listers; (and to Doreen and Keith in particular as this post
addresses their information need):

Indeed, goldwave will readily enable you to record streaming audio from the
internet. Here's how:

1. Open up goldwave and press F11. Your screen-reading program should
report: "play tab".

2. Press and hold the control key while pressing tab twice. You should hear
"volume tab."

3. Press the tab key four times. Your screen-reading program should report:
"what you hear, edit" followed by a percentage figure. Here is where you
will adjust the volume level for this input source, (whether with the left
and right arrow keys or the up and down arrow keys I can't now remember,
<smile>, but you guys are computer savvy enough to work that out.) I keep my
level for this input source at 100%.

4. Press tab once. This is the check box for enabling or disabling this
input source. Doubtless it will say "unchecked". Press the space bar to
check it.

5. Press the tab key nine times; you should hear "ok". Press enter.

6. Now press "control N' to create a new file. Use your tab key to set the
recording parameters as usual; i.e., mono / stereo, sampling rate, etc. (I'm
assuming you're sufficiently familiar with the goldwave program such that
nothing more need be said about this part of the process.)

7. At this point, if you haven't done so already, access the streaming
content you want to record. However, make sure that the goldwave window is
maximized so that your goldwave hot keys will work.

8. Unless you've got your screen-reader using its own sound card or an
external synthesizer, you'll now want to disable JAWS and any other running
program (i.e., announcing clock, email, etc.) which could generate sound
through your sound card. Remember, your goldwave is set to record "what you
hear"...i.e., what comes out of your sound card.

9. Now just use control F9 to begin recording, control F7 to pause / resume
recording, and control F8 to stop recording. (Of course, unless your using a
dedicated sound card or an external synthesizer, you won't get any audible
confirmation about your recording status, but that's a small price to pay
for a pristine recording.)

10. Lastly, if memory serves, goldwave retains the last recording source
input selection, so if your next goldwave recording session will involve a
live microphone recording, you'll have to access the "volume" control pane
again and select microphone.

Hope this helps, and happy recording!

John