VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Valerie Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:19:38 -0400
Please email suggestions concerning list operation
to [log in to unmask]

I also have no flame to throw, but some things to think about.

The problem in this whole issue lies in the way you are thinking. We, and
society, have been trained to think that blind people cannot function on the
same level as everyone else. People think we should have a
"separate/special" way to interact and participate in society.

Congress has raised legitimate questions regarding "why can't people with
disabilities use the technology that is out there"? They do not know that we
and they, as a society have allowed manufacturers of EVERYTHING to create
products an services that are not usable by a person with a disability.
Therefore, we must rely on manufacturers of "special" products, who then
must charge us an unrealistic, non-market price to have a fraction of the
access that everyone else is able to have.

If we do not figure out a way to enforce what is left of the ADA, then there
is little hope for us to participate in the future.

For example, the IPhone will be out soon. Yet, another product that will not
accommodate us, but will allow others to seamlessly intergrate all aspects
of their lives.

Yes, for now we indeed need the National Library Service and its many
wonderful resources, but our goal as a society should be to have everyone
have access to as much as possible.

We need to reach a point where people with disabilities will be expected to
pay for their services, like everyone else, but that is not now. Now, the
services are not there.

I think that all who have replied have valid points. I am a librarian at a
library for the blind. Most of my patrons are seniors and do need a more
simplified version of technology. However, we have an aging society of more
technological people who will demand access to entertainment, education and
employment.

Have a wonderful day.

Valerie