From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:06:08 -0400
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:45:11 -0500, Kenneth Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It seems to me the Acid/Alkaline issues presented by Dr. Cordain and
>Susan Brown on bone health coming from a balance of fruits and
>vegetables, along with eating much lean meat and fish, is virtually
>overlooked or unconvincingly denied (at least for me) on this list. ...

Ken, I can sympathize with you. I used to believe that there was a good
chance that the acid/alkaline theory might be correct and that an all meat
and fish and fat diet would lead to reduced bone mineral density. I ate lots
of plant foods, including plenty of greens because of this. Being a utilizer
of the scientific method, I also accepted the possibility that the theory
might be wrong, either partly or wholly.

Then I came across Lex Rooker's journal, in which he described how the bone
density in his jaw actually INCREASED on an all beef/fat/organs diet. He
could tell because his loose teeth firmed up, and it was confirmed when his
dentist took x-rays of his teeth and jaws.

Despite my eating an alkaline diet and having alkaline urine, my teeth
became increasingly loose. When I switched to an all meat/fat/organs diet,
my loose teeth firmed up just like Lex's and are now the firmest they've
been in over a decade, after just a little over a month of eating this way.
Someone suggested in an earlier post that I "imagined" they got firmer. They
should try telling that to my hygienist who used to be able to wiggle my
teeth and now cannot. Is she just "imagining" that she can't wiggle my teeth
any more? She had been concerned that I was going to lose my teeth. She
asked if I was brushing and flossing more and I said, no and told her I was
drinking less sugary beverages like juice and occasional soda. This
obviously threw her off balance and she didn't ask any more questions. If I
had told her that I ate only meat/fat/organs and water and most of it raw
she likely would have really freaked.

I never imagined that I would end up eating this way, but it has worked
great for me so far. I'm not saying this would necessarily work for anyone
else, only that it has worked very well indeed for Lex and me, whereas an
alkaline diet was a disaster for me. I wish this weren't so, because it's
cheaper and socially more acceptable to be able to eat lots of plant foods.