From:
Mike Horlick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:42:45 -0400
Hi Todd,

>I think the point that person made was that whether you eat a carrot or a
>cow, you must kill what you eat.  You cannot sustain your own life without
>killing other organisms.  I don't think that's controversial.  But I take
>it that your point is that you find killing carrots less morally
>problematic than killing cows.  Can you explain what you find morally
>problematic about killing cows?

I realize that in order to eat something must be killed. I think there is a big
difference between killing a plant and killing an animal. I don't believe there is
any pain and suffering involved in the killing of a plant. You don't have to visit
the PETA site to recognize that.

I think even the most die-hard raw meat paleo eater (in an emergency) would
rather kill and eat a carrot than their own dog or cat. I don't believe one can
have the same relationship between man and plant as one between man and
pet(animal).
Do animals have feelings? This, I don't know but I seriously doubt plants do.

Now, I do realize that predators do not have any qualms regarding eating
other animals (even those cute little baby animals ;)) and I guess some of my
sensitivities come from watching certain recent movies about the
meat/slaughterhouse industry.

I also think that one can distance oneself from the killing process to a certain
degree because usually you see only the clean end product (a piece of meat
covered in plastic in a styrofoam container).  I guess most people don't make
an association between the actual animal and that burger they're eating.
They would rather not think of the messy part.  I wonder how many people
could actually kill an animal but that maybe because we are so far from the
Neolithic times.

Maybe I'm a bit of a hyprocite. I would rather eat a fish than a chicken, a
chicken rather than a cow/lamb.

Anyways, these are just observations. I believe in the low carb/Paleo diet and
do believe that flesh should be a large part of our diet.

Regards,

Mike