From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:04:49 -0400
I'm reading a fantastic book for everyone here who has had to debate with
vegetarians and vegans and those who are drawn to a vegetarian diet:

"The Vegetarian Myth"
by Lierre Keith
(2009)

The book is full of hunter-gatherer examples, paleoanthropological
illustrations, modern medicine, ethics and the whole book is firmly rooted
in evolutionary theory, including cutting edge material on human ecology,
co-evolution.

It's the book I would have written if I was as good a writer, as intelligent
an interpreter of academic research and as empathic about (and respectful
of) other people.

This book goes right to the top of my recommended reading list, for not only
does it put the case so well for our diet, but reading it gives a sound
theoretical understanding of evolutionary thinking and of its application to
human evolution.

Lierre Keith was 20 years a vegetarian and has not forgotten the peculiar
way vegetarians think. "The Vegetarian Myth" will, therefore, I predict, be
the first critique of vegetarianism which committed vegetarians will read
right through.

The first 14 pages of the book can be read here:

http://www.lierrekeith.com/vegmyth.htm

Keith