C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Virginia Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 10:06:03 -0600
Kyle

I always wonder about that....

Who are all these people going to the doc for sniffles and expensive testing? I don't go OR take my kids until I see signs of secondary infection or strep. I mean, there's no cure for the common cold, and you have to give your body practice fighting off stuff (unless you have a compromised immune system). Why overreact with antibiotics and antivirals?  Plus, it's expensive. Rest, juice, soup, 7up. There ya go.

Of course, in some states, you can't have kids absent from school for illness without a doctor's excuse. Thank goodness Idaho hasn't gone down that path....

Virginia

> Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:48:42 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Time to wake up the list, if possible
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Ken,
>
> The predominant seasonal flu for the 2008-2009 year (also an A/H1N1 variant) was darn near 100% oseltamivir (Tamiflu) resistant in Europe and North America. Fortunately, we have a couple more arrows in the quiver--Zanamivir (Relenza) (which did quite well in Europe), Amantadine (Symmetrel) and Rimantadine (Flumadine). The last two have a different mechanism than Tamiflu or Relenza, but (at least in the US) there's not much of either in the National Stockpile.
>
> Unfortunately, there's no quick assay for sub-typing a flu virus. Heck, for the most part, all of the states are still shipping samples to CDC for analysis. So what's going to happen is that every parent with a snotty-nosed kid is going to go either to the ER or doc's office and demand that their kid get a course of Tamiflu. There won't be time for any sort of real diagnosis, and the physicians won't have the gears to tell Mom or Dad, "No". Before you know it we'll have the viral equivalent of MRSA.
>
> We're already handing out Tamiflu "prophylactically" to folks who have been exposed to the Sw A/H1N1 before they're even symptomatic--and this flu is presenting, for the most part, as really, really mild. If it returns this fall, it probably will produce more than just mild cold symptoms, and by that time we'll have already shot ourselves in the foot.
>
> Kyle

HotmailŪ goes with you.