VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 22:08:40 -0600
7bit
From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Well, I'm firmly in the camp that feels competition gives us more robust
screen readers and access to more applications than we would get from a
screen reader monopoly, especially from an MS monopoly. Once MS feels
their screen reader is satisfactory, how are we as users going to get
new features into this screen reader, especially after a free MS
provided screen reader has driven JFW, Widnow-Eyes, Hal, ..., out of the
market? Also, don't forget that MS is an application provider, so how
much resources are they going to put into their screen reader to make
Firefox, Opera, Symphony, Open Office, ..., accessible? MS is also able
to set industry standards, so as they develop their own standards for
web content, web extensions and so on, how much resources will they put
into their screen reader to support competing standards and web
extensions? How long will we be able to use Google, Yahoo, Java, and so
on.  IMHO, a full blown MS screen reader will mean the blind are
restricted to using a screen reader that's only as good as MS determines
it has to be and that only works with MS applications and services. A MS
screen reader may be cheaper for the blind, but IMHO it would be a step
back in accessibility.

Sorry about that, what I really meant to say is that I don't think this
survey is going to give us any useful data. I think most users would say
that yes they would like a free screen reader included with Windows. Who
wouldn't want to pay less for a screen reader. I'm not sure many people
would think of the long term impacts though.

Furthermore, why would MS develop and distribute a screen reader for
Windows? Is it going to improve their bottom line? Are they going to win
government contracts that they are currently losing to other operating
systems that have built in screen readers? Are they going to do this out
of the goodness of their hearts? Are we thinking we need to have this
litigated? If so, how will the general population feel when MS passes on
the cost of developing this screen reader to everyone who purchases Windows?

BTW, I agree with many of the issues that people are raising. I don't
think blind people should have to pay extra to get the same level of
access to applications our sighted counterparts are using. I also don't
think we should have to deal with this additional layer of complexity on
our systems. Unfortunately, I don't think a screen reader monopoly is
the answer to these very difficult and challenging issues.

Finally, I've participated in several of these debates, and I am glad we
have different forums to engage in these debates, but I find people
generally have pretty entrenched opinions regarding this issue and these
debates can quickly get pretty heated and unproductive. I know my
opinion on this issue hasn't changed after years and more than several
debates on this topic. I guess this is my way of saying that I hope
everyone stays respectful in this debate, and even though no one may
change their opinion, they'll be open to the opinions and thoughts of
others.

--
Christopher