VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:17:10 -0500
From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
This probably won't make it to the list because of the limit, but Having
explored and tought a lot of assistive technology products, I am concerned
that windows users have to jump through so many hoops to barely achieve
access.  I know, it looks like you are achieving access and I happily purred
along with that to for a while, but when someone tries to help me with
something I can't do with jaws, they often have to turn it off so they can
use the computer, (even experienced computer users), and that frightens me.
On the Mac, VoiceOver does not have to be turned off by someone who is
trying to help me and I have noticed that a lot of what I do with the Mac
mirrors what people who can see the screen do so that may have something to
do with it.

Apple have shown that not only can a leading computer company make an out of
the box accessible experience, but that it can also be done in such a way
such that the accessibility does not interfere with normal use.  I know folk
who have macs and when they call me for help even though they don't use
VoiceOver, they turn it on so I can hear what they are doing and help them.

Microsoft and at least freedomscientific are emmulating apple or trying to
with new technologies.  Look at freedom, the new voices in JAWS, I don't
like them as much as I like the acapella voices I bought for my Mac, but
they are a huge improvement over eloquence.  Microsoft has implemented a lot
of apple features in vista and even to some extent in xp.

I don't believe for a minute that if Microsoft made the business decision to
migrate the accessibility apis to open source and put them into the os and
build a spoken interface that it would be inferior.  I would hope that they
would emmulate apple again here and provide a common shareable interface.