VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:07:37 -0400
From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Hi to all.

Harry, there are a couple of possibilities here.  First, because (according to your own message), both Winamp and Windows Media are installed on your laptop, Winamp may be rerouting audio files to itself instead of Windows Media Player (the default setting for Winamp is to play all of the Windows Media direct links).  To correct this situation, you will have to set Windows Media as the default player for all files (it's under the Tools menu and the Options submenu under the File Types heading).  Once you have done that, you can select specific file types to play through Winamp (it's under the ctrl+p menu, 2nd line from the top).  Also, make sure to turn the two settings in Winamp that force Winamp to be the default player for all file types (two check boxes in the menu I just told you about) before changing Windows Media default file types.

The other possibility is that the station you are trying to stream is not streaming.  I know Bill Sparks tries to keep up with all of the links, but as a station aggregator site, he's often behind the curve--stations change their streaming addresses sometimes just weeks after Bill Sparks has added them to his site.  In addition, the continuing arguments over music licensing and royalty fees have forced many stations to discontinue their streaming until a favorable resolution comes their way (the stations would be on the hook for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars if they didn't stop streaming).  If this is the ultimate problem, your best bet is to visit the station's website and see if you can get it to stream from there.  Also, of the streaming aggregators, I highly recommend Vtuner at http://www.vtuner.com .  That website is very good at updating streaming url changes--it doesn't always rely on volunteers to send the new url information in.

I hope this helps.  Take care.