VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:11:41 -0500
Hello All:

I have received a call from someone who is trying to access Windows
Update using Windows Internet Explorer 7.  Here is what happens when he
goes to Windows Update.

He gets a message that the site needs to install an ActiveX control, and
that he is to right-click on the Information Bar to install this
control.  He has tried pressing the alt-N key and this does not work.

He and I checked his Internet Explorer security settings and we have
enabled automatic prompting for ActiveX Controls and Plug-ins as
suggested in the Internet Explorer help menu.  This has not solved the
problem.  My client is running AVG Version 8.0 as well if this helps.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what settings we should change in
order that he can install and run the ActiveX control from Windows
Update?  Is there a general place where he could have turned off the
Information Bar so it won't display and if so, how do we turn it on?  I
got the impression in IE 7 help that there was not such a place.

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)