VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:29:34 -0400
From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 9:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: What Employers Need to Know About Adaptive Technology

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

eSight Members Tell What Employers
Need to Know About Adaptive Technology

(New York City, NY - October 27, 2006) The members of
eSight Careers Network - http://www.eSight.org - have
collaborated online to provide employers with a quick
reference about how adaptive technology helps them
function as productive employees in today's mainstream
workplaces.

As an October 2006 National Disability Employment
Awareness Month initiative, the eSight Networking Forum
asked participants during the month what they thought
employers needed to know how adaptive technology has
changed the way they live and work.

See "Advances in Adaptive Technology: What eSight Members
Say Employers Need to Know," a summary article about the
discussion at http://www.esight.org/View.cfm?x=1958

The article includes personal stories from eSight
members about the progress they've seen in adaptive
technology and the challenges they face in showing
employers how they can function with the aid of that
technology in the workplace.

A third section of the article provides a list of 27
resources which trace the development of adaptive
technology (particularly for those with visual
impairments) and show the range of adaptive technologies
and services available today.

During the last 30 years (and especially during the last
15), advances in adaptive technology have created greater
opportunities for people with disabilities to communicate,
learn, participate and work so they can live
independently.

Peter, for instance, a business consultant and one of the
eSight members who participated in the October discussion,
points out, "Assistive technology has exponentially
increased my productivity."

Helen, another participant, writes:

"Adaptive technology has torn down many of the barriers to
the workplace and, with the advent of assistive devices
such as talking microwaves and thermometers for the home,
people with disabilities can live and work more
independently."

Yet, in the U.S., employment among people with visual
impairments is just over 30 percent, a level which hasn't
changed much since the Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA) became law in 1990.

Here's how Liz, another eSight member, reacts to that
employment statistic:

"The world doesn't adapt to us; we adapt to the world, and
so we have to get better at talking about our strengths
and weaknesses and what adaptive technology we'll need and
how it works and how it can fit into an employer's
situation."

She offers this specific suggestion:

"Now that computer flat screens are less expensive and
JAWS or ZoomText can be built into computers (including
laptops), visually impaired and blind people need to take
the initiative and show employers during job interviews
that being limited in sight doesn't have to limit their
employability for work."

The full eSight Networking Forum discussion about how
adaptive technology has changed lives is available at
http://www.esight.org/link.cfm?n=813

The Associated Blind, Inc., a 68-year-old non-profit
organization, has been providing members of eSight Careers
Network opportunities to collaborate on disability
employment issues through accessible online discussions
and resource building since October 2000.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Source: The Associated Blind, Inc.
Contact: Nancy O'Connell, Executive Director
Tel: (212) 683-4950
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Online community: http://www.eSight.org

Blogs:
eSight Leadership Forum     - http://www.tabinc.org/st/
eSight Community News       - http://www.tabinc.org/blog/
Job Seeker's Network        - http://www.tabinc.org/jsn/
Swimming in the Mainstream  - http://www.tabinc.org/sim/

NOTICE:
We have no intention of sending unwanted messages.
Our goal is to share insights with professionals who
have an interest in disability employment issues.

To be removed from our mailing list please reply to this
message with the word unsubscribe in the body of the email.

                         ###

    Send comments on list operation to
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]