From:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:51:35 -0600

Where I live in the mountains of Colorado, Fall is a time of year worth celebrating!  This morning the leaves were turning gold and a herd of elk were rutting in my yard.  Seeing those big bulls fighting over the cows is an amazing sight.  October 4 is Elk Fest - you are all invited to Estes for this great event!

Here is my favorite fall recipe.  It's easy, looks elegant and tastes wonderful.

Stuffed Acorn Squash

2 acorn squash about 1 ½ pounds each

1 lb bulk pork sausage

½ cup chopped onion

2 apples chopped

¼ cup raisins

¼ cup dried cranberries

¼ teaspoon thyme

2 Tablespoons mesquite flour

½ cup chopped pecans

¼ cup maple syrup

Cut the squash in half crosswise.  Cut bottoms so they will stand in the pan.  Place each half, cut side down, cover with foil and bake at 350 until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.

In a skillet crumble and cook sausage until slightly pink.  Drain off fat.  Add onion, apples, raisins, cranberries, mesquite, and thyme.  Cook until apples are tender, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often.  Stir in pecans.

Uncover and turn squash cut side up.  Fill each cavity of the sausage mixture.  Drizzle with maple syrup and return to the oven.  Bake about 15 minutes, until brown on top.

Hope you enjoy this as much as my friends and I do.

Liz

www.therubyrange.com<http://www.therubyrange.com/>