From:
Paula Obrien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Obrien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:11:45 -0400

Thanks for everyone's wonderful suggestions.  The summary is a bit
long because the answers were so interesting and comprehensive:

-- I have my baking mix but there are some on the market just for
coating meat, fish, etc. For stew I prefer to use potato flour as it
helps thicken the gravy.

-- use a mix of rice or potato starch or tapioca or corn
starch.....Doesn't have to be the proportions that you'd need to bake.
I just find that rice is too grainy alone and the starches are too
light alone.   Dry chicken pieces, dip in flour mix, dip in beaten
egg, and then redip in flour. Actually, I use a baggie for the flours.

-- I make Lemon Chicken using corn flour.  I found this recipe in an
old cookbook, and the recipe actually called for corn flour, so there
was no substitution involved.  The chicken fries up crispy and light.
Ffirst dip the pieces in egg and then dredge in seasoned corn flour
before deep frying in a wok.

-- I use the gf flour mixes....like Domata or Bettey Hagman's for
dredging ...but if you want to make a batter like coating use Pamela's
pancake mix...makes great coating for chicken tenders or sweet and
sour chicken recipes.

-- We like garbanzo bean or soy flour for meats.  Corn meal for fish.
All three with salt and pepper mixed into the flour before dredging.

-- Fish and chicken are really good dredged in corn flour (not corn
starch) or really fine corn meal.  I like dredging things in tapioca
flour.

-- To make a terrific sauce brown your onions or other flavorings in
oil or butter, sprinkle with tapioca flour, stir to coat the solids,
then add boiling stock or water, stir and simmer for a few minutes.
Even a non GF cook friend tried this and now does it this way all the
time.  It doesn't make lumps as readily as some other flours.

*******
*******