From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:58:58 -0600
You need to check with your provider.  I use Wildblue, and, if I recall
correctly, there is a provision in the contract which bars the use of
things like voip.  I can't remember for certain, but I am pretty sure.
I am not sure about Hughesnet.

Given a choice, if your REC offers Wildblue, I would go with them.
DirectWay, which preceeded Hughesnet, seemed to have a lot of bad press.
  I suspect that was one of the reasons they changed to Hughesnet, but
I'm not sure of that.

Once you get used to a faster internet connection, you'll wonder how you
ever lived without it.  Unfortunately, my Wildblue at $85 per month,
including service contract, is about one eighth as fast as my friend's
in the city who has Cox cable.  :(

(Cheaper Wildblue is available, but it is slower.)

Dean Kukral

At this point in time, I am seriously considering installing a satellite
uplink.  My maximum dial-up speed is just too darned slow for today's
sites, and there won't be another way to connect to high-speed "out
here" in the rusty hills of Ohio for many more years, if ever in my
lifetime.   Moving is not an option.

My question is, will a VOIP service (such as  Vonage or Magic Jack) work
with a satellite connection?  I'm getting  ____  sick and tired of
Verizon, and I think I'd save money over their, uh, "service" if it's
possible to do this...  Thanks in advance for any and all input

Joyce in SE Ohio

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads