Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:35:57 -0400
Have you added any recent hardware? if so, it may be that you are now overloading the power supply. This is especially true with upgrades to the video card. Newer video cards often require more amps(current) than existing cards and this will cause an overdraw the power supply cannot handle. (however, the system should complete a P.O.S.T and boot before shutdown, but may not)

If your system is starting up and completing a successful P.O.S.T, you can try to start the system and enter CMOS setup to check system health status. In there you may have time to observe temperatures and voltage ratings. (if you have enough time)

If not, remove side panel to observe system board and components.

While attempting to start the PC, check to make sure all the fans are working. The power supply fan(s), the CPU fan, and all system fans. If the power supply fan is not working, you'll need a new power supply, NEVER OPEN A POWER SUPPLY!! if the CPU or system fans are not working, they need to be replaced.

A power supply tester can be purchased for $20 or less and can be extremely useful in determining function of the power supply.

This might help you address the problem, at least you'll be able to eliminate these as a problem if it persists. It would help if you could tell of any upgrades, or if the system is completing a successful Power On Self Test, or if the system is failing P.O.S.T and giving beep codes?

> Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:43:41 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PCBUILD] PC won't start at all
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 5150 which is less than two years old.  It started to balk at starting up a few weeks ago and gradually got worse and now it wont start at all.
>
> When I press the start button, a slow flashing light begins just behind the start button while a steady light green light goes on at the back in the region between the back end of the RAM boards and where the leads from the HDD plug into the motherboard - and that's it - nothing..!
>
> Can anyone help with a suggestion to what it night be..?
>
> regards,
>
> Struan Robertson
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml