Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:34:53 -0500
Oh, Phil, that's funny about your friend getting so nervous and the guy
wondering why he couldn't hear any code through his headphones.

I lost my original Novice call because I was so nervous taking the General
that I failed the written part.

I remember when I went to the FCC to take my advanced and Extra, since I had a
conditional I had to re-take that to become a General on the way.  This was
ten years after I'd gotten my license.

It was either in the General which was a Brailled exam, without the diagrams,
or in the Advanced, which my dad read to me, when we came to the diagram
section.

An assistant Engineer from the FCC came in and started describing the diagram.
He said "we have a PNP transistor with the base connected to a voltage source,
and the collector  to a coil and capacitor."  I knew it was an oscillator
circuit.

But, when he got to the third question on the diagram he literally said: "Oh,
shit!  I gave you that answer already."

The question was:  What type of transistor is this?  To at least show him I
knew, I asked if the arrows pointed toward or away from the base.

Steve, K8SP