From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:40:12 -0700
I agree.  That si why I went with the 480 for my second radio.  You
can't beat it for accessibility.  True, it doesn't have 2 or 440, but if
I want to work those bands, I want a separate radio anyhow.
73
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr
open Node 3148
Las Vegas

On Fri, 31
Oct 2008, Louis Kim Kline wrote:

> Hi John.
>
> My thoughts on the Icom IC706 MkII G are as follows:
>
> 1. From the standpoint of accessibility, while the radio has many
> shortcomings, the only one that I found to matter a great deal was setting
> up PL tones.  This was enough of a problem that it caused me to by the
> Kenwood TS2000S.  If Icom had ever bothered to develop a memory control
> program like Kenwood did for the TS2000S, it would have been a usable
> situation, but a radio that I can't set Pls on is as useful to me as you
> know what on a boar hog
>
> 2.  I have found the receiver on the Icom IC706 MkII G does not handle
> strong signals well, and is woefully inferior to the TS2000S on VHF and UHF
> in an urban area, as the Kenwood seems to be much more resistant to
> intermod and desensitization.
>
> I keep the radio as a spare, but really wouldn't like to have to depend
> upon it for very long.  It's nice to tote out to a Field Day site though.
>
> 73, de Lou K2LKK
>

> At 08:58 AM 10/28/2008 -0400, you wrote:
>> The TS-570 is more accessible, the 706 is good for go kit or backup, but I'd
>> sure hate to have to use it every day which is why I keep my 570 around
>> though I have the TS-2000. Too many functions on too few buttons, in the NTS
>> nets and stuff I get in to daily, I can't stop to think about which button
>> does what because some idiot wants to tune up on top of us and I have to
>> turn on the notch filter. I know the radio enough to do stuff like that but
>> really, if I had to use that daily because my main radio was in the shop or
>> something, I don't think my patience would last long. I'd even rather run my
>> TS-830 regularly over that one though I don't have much problem with it on
>> vacations and stuff so maybe it wouldn't drive me that crazy. Anyway, all
>> that talks on the 706 is the S meter, mode and frequency. The rest you do
>> with beeps mostly and in the menus, you change settings with the tuning dial
>> so you have to really guess there until you learn how far to turn for the
>> next setting. Luckily for me, I run the HF power almost wide open on that
>> radio and the mic gain has to be all the way on the 706 and most icoms so
>> wide open is easy because the settings don't rap around, once you get to the
>> highest or lowest setting, it stays there until you turn the knob the other
>> way.

>>> 706,  Now how accessible is this?  do all the buttons read out when