From:
Terri Pannett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:53:40 -0700
Ron,

My BrailleNotes have lasted several years and I don't send them in more than
once a year and sometimes I don't send them in at all.  Mine have been quite
rugged, though not as rugged than the Perkins brailler.  BNs are, or should
be, more rugged than you think.  I use mine on a regular basis, day after
day.

I also have a BrailleWave from HandyTech and the manual says I don't need to
send it in more than once every two years.

A person can buy approximately 27 braille displays for the amount it would
take to buy one house.

Those of us who use braille displays have terrible withdrawal symptoms,
unless we have two, when we send them in for service.  Since the user is the
one who has to be without the displays, the user should send them in only
when it's absolutely necessary.

I also don't believe in renewing maintenance agreements.  I used to renew
mine every year but I've decided I won't do it anymore.  I figure if a
display is any good, it should last for many years and the maintenance
agreement payments can be saved until the next time I need to buy a new one.
I've been using braille displays since 1991.

Terri Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.