VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 00:36:44 -0400
Hi to all.

Some prescient points:

1) This totally blind person prefers the Windows Classic settings, because it means fewer touches to the right and left arrow keys--it's mostly the up and down arrows that are used. This allows me to move around the computer a little bit faster than I would otherwise (yes, I've played with the updated settings in Windows XP).

2) Whether I agree with Harry  or not, I have to side with Bill on some of the reactions that I have read. Harry raises legitimate points about allowing Microsoft to determine how and under what conditions we will access their products. The only real legal argument I can see would involve employment by the Federal government where ADA standards do require that blind people be given access in the form(at)s they prefer (this doesn't apply to state governments or private businesses, by the way). Still, I think that universal access is very much a laudable goal.

3) That said, I very much agree with Doreen Yale that Harry, in his original message, didn't cite any sources for his concerns. Where, for example, Harry, did you learn that Windows 7 was not going to include the Windows Classic Settings option. Clearly one of the previous posters argued that this assumption was not true, making any letter on the matter pointless.

These are some of the points I'm pondering as I consider Harry's letter and the very negative responses to it from many on this list.

Ted