C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob Sturgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 12:19:31 -0400
Happy birthday Carla,  My next one (in Jan.) I'll be 72.  Would love to see look on doctors faces who told my parents I'd be gone by 35, lmao.  I don't take any prescribed meds, only over the counter supplements which I've been taking for quite a while.  Am quite active - play volleyball in community pool for 90 minutes 3-4 times a week, bicycle 20-30 minutes at least five days a week.  Biggest change for me over past 2 years were the sudden deaths of my oldest stepson at age 48, followed 9 months later by his mom, my dear wife of 40 years, it'll be one year later this month.  Fortunately for me I had always helped out with housework, laundry, cooking (a little) so I didn't have to learn how to do all this suddenly.  Also, the other big change was finally retiring completely (2nd time) this past January.  I'm mostly affected by CP in my hands, good therapy as a very small child got my lower extremities working fairly well.  My biggest concern is not knowing where to turn to if, as I get older, I start to need some kind of assistance to continue living on my own.