C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:23:42 -0700
Have you asked your son why he does this?  I remember as a young child I would "forget" to wipe my chin and mouth when at meals, and it irked my mom. She'd say, child, can't you feel anything on your chin?! eventually I learned that it is not socially acceptable to let food/saliva run down my face.

My mother was a perfectionist and after a  few years she began abusing me when she got frustrated with my speech. She would make awful faces and awful sounds saying this is what you sound like, this is what you look like!  As if I were not trying hard enough! That made me ashamed of how I looked when I spoke, and so I always would hang my head, and not look at people when I spoke. It took many years of counseling to overcome it.

There was always enough tension between us that you could cut it with a knife... Even my significant other said it was like invisible arrows between us! and that was when I was in my 30s!  so, yes, your family should seek a therapist.

Thanks,
Tamar

Tamar Mag Raine, Commissioner,

Oakland Mayor's Commission on People with Disabilities

http://www.zazzle.com/TamarMag*
www.cafepress.com/tamarmag