VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:36:36 -0400
Harry

This isn't an all or nothing decision.  Differing types of pcs, tablets,
phones and all sorts of electronic devices will compete in the marketplace
with many users opting for several different ones for a variety of
reasons.
As for XP, no one knows whether April 2014 will end support or not; the
marketplace will determine that.
If there remains a large user base, MSFT may have to continue support for
yet another cut-off date.
And even if they don't extend the date, that isn't to say that folks won't
continue using xp.
What kills an operating system is whether or not there are many folks
using it, whether software and hardware still remain available to do what
folks they to do, et al.
And if support ends for XP, that says nothing about other desktop/laptop
operating systems such as Vista, Win 7 and now Win 8.
So I don't expect the demise of desktops and laptops in the near term
though sales and use may decline in percentage terms with other equipment
taking a great portion of the share.

The real measure of our wealth is how much we should be worth if we lost our money.
John Henry Jowett - (1864-1923), English Congregational pastor

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]