VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:41:38 -0500
Nan

I concur with AnneMarie's comments.  Let's think about it in a realm of
pure numbers.
NLS adds only a couple of thousand titles yearly.  Most of those are
dictated by already established criteria such as best sellers, series,
specific authors, and so one.
NLS has tens of thousands of users.  So unless your request were something
being echoed by others, you stand next to no chance of seeing your book
added to the collection.
I once calculated that if the average nls customer got one choice of
theirs added to the collection in their lifetime, you would be well ahead
of the odds.

The way NLS likes this to be done is through the regional library system.
I suppose this allows for better aggregation to determine if any of the
requests have any true interest among users.

In addition to the sources Annemarie lists, check with your local public
library to find out if they may have the book as an audio book.

Otherwise, scanning it is always an option and the only sure way of
getting the book you want now rather than years down the road.

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Jim Elliot

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]