VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nan Hawthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nan Hawthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:41:52 -0800
I know there are lots of people who are really ticked off with Amazon
and the accessibility of the Kindle.. or its lac ck thereof, but I
wanted to point out one aspect of it I use constantly, and that is
access to documents via wifi.  I know there are other ways to do this,
so it's not anything really new, but I certainly enjoy it.

If you have the Kindle 3, and I bought the $139 version, you can send
any Word document to it wirelessly.  Then you can read it using the text
to speech, which is pretty good quality.  I am a novelist, so I send my
own chapters to listen to them and I also get books from other authors
in doc format to write reviews.  I don't own a Stream.. I made the
decision to spend the money I had on the Kindle instead, even without
full accessibility for a variety of reasons.  I like that wireless
transfer.  I also need to read scholarly articles both for research for
books or for articles I plan to write.    I take material that is in
text format and just open and save it in Word so it will work with the
Kindle.

I just wanted to mention this so people who are interested learn about
this capability.  I don't really want to argue the perfidy of Amazon's
accessibility record.  I will only say I adore my Kindle and use it
daily to read books, magazines, and documents.  I will answer questions
about the Kindle 3 but I won't get into debate4s about all or nothing.
I've been through enough of those already.  You can find more about my
experiences with Kindle at http://allsheread.blogspot.com and check the
label list for Kindle.

Respectfully,

Nan Hawthorne
Author, blogger, broadcaster and songwriter
www.nanhawthorne.com

medieval-novels.com More than 1200 books set between 500 and 1600 AD.
www.medieval-novels.com

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]