VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Penny Reeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Penny Reeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:27:55 -0500
Hi All,
This is what I learned when I called Humanware.

The price of the new BrailleNote Apex is $6100.

If you have an Empower, you can trade it in and, for a 32-cell
Empower with a braille display, Humanware will deduct $1700 from the
price of the Apex; for an 18-cell trade-in, Humanware will deduct $1400.

At the moment, there is only the 32-cell option on the new
Apex.  Veiled promises of more options to come during 2010 are
being  bandied about.

I am very interested in this new unit.  The built-in WIFI, the thin
form factor, the USB ports, and the fact that I already know how to
use a BrailleNote and the operating system has not significantly
changed are all very appealing to me.  If they come out with an
18-cell model, or even better, a form factor that mimicks the
BrailleNote PK in size, along with the thinner body, I may be
contacting Maryland's Technology Assistance Program to apply for a
low-interest loan.  (That's how I was able to purchase the
BrailleNote I am using now).  Most state technology assistance
programs offer similar loan programs.

Yes, one can do a lot with one of those, by comparison, extremely
inexpensive NetBooks, but the refreshable braille display and the
braille keyboard for inputting information and data make the
BrailleNote very appealing to me, along with the lighter weight and
the thinner size.

So, that's your technology update for the morning!

Penny