VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:03:48 -0500
Hi all,
From Kim Komando.com's tip of the day, and this is a great one!
Harry
Tip of the Day

Security tips for holiday travel

11/24/2007

SPONSORED BY
1/gotomypc_88x31

images/s-icon-email
E-Mail This
images/s-icon-print
Printer-Friendly

Many of us are hitting the road this holiday season. It’s time for big family get-togethers and visits to friends. Are you going to be taking your laptop
along? If so, make sure it's secure.

Taking your laptop anywhere means chances for accidents and theft. The thought of losing all your information is scary. It’s even scarier if you lose it
to a thief. And don’t forget the dangers of using your computer in public.
3/RM_300x250_banner_v2

Don’t worry. I’m here to help. With a little planning, you can avoid the worst-case scenarios. Then you can really enjoy your holiday trip.

Back up your laptop

Nothing you take on a trip is guaranteed to come back. That includes your laptop. But you can be sure that your information is waiting for you. Before you
leave, back up your laptop. At the least, back up your important files.

The safest option is an online backup service. These allow you to upload your files to secure servers. If your computer is stolen, your data is secure hundreds
of miles away. And you can access it from anywhere. I use and recommend one of my advertisers,
Carbonite
. It is very convenient. You can try it free by using the link
www.carbonite.com/kim

It’s secure too. I have a tip about
how it works.

An external hard drive also works well. They're cheap; you can probably get a 250GB drive for $100. Many come with backup software. Of course, a thief probably
would take an external hard drive.

Thumb drives are OK if you don't need much space. CDs and DVDs also will work.

Don’t count on public Internet

It’s convenient to be able to pick up the Internet in public. You can surf in the airport or a local coffee shop. But you can’t count on those connections
to be secure.

You're probably safe doing your banking in a public hotspot. All banks, brokerages and other financial institutions use SSL. That's Secure Socket Layer.
It's safe; no one has broken its encryption. Personally, I don't do that. I'd rather do that stuff at home.

But let's say you want to check your e-mail. Transmission of your password is secure. But when you download your e-mail, it probably is not encrypted. The
jerk three seats over potentially could look at it. So what if it's just happy birthday wishes from Aunt Tillie? You don't want to share it.

Some businesses have VPNs (virtual private networks). This creates an encrypted link to the office network. VPNs are safe. They're great for road warriors.

We civilians can manage something like that. Remote access programs provide similar protection. You tap in to a computer at home. You use it to surf remotely
from theTimbuktu airport, or wherever. Try GoToMyPC ($20 a month), one of my advertisers. I love it.
Click this link
 and you can try it free for 45 days.

Basic Protection

Don’t forget the basics of Internet security. I know most of you are sick of this speech. I've talked about security so much, I dream about firewalls. I'm
gonna do it again, but I'll keep it brief.

You should have one antivirus and several anti-spyware programs. You need a firewall. I've got plenty of these programs
on my site.

They're free.

Really, it's a good idea to take this further. Use
Firefox
, rather than Internet Explorer. It's safer. Use a custom
HOSTS file
. Have the
Secunia Software Inspector
 check your computer occasionally. Keep
Windows updated.

Everything here is FREE. It's also easy, once you overcome your initial terror. Gosh, I just hate the idea of my listeners being victimized. If you need
more help,
check my short tutorial
. Are you really serious about security? Buy my book on CD,
Kim Komando's Guide to Computer Security & Privacy.

Watch your back

Criminals don’t have to steal your information through the Internet.  They might just look over your shoulder when you enter a password. There are people
who make their living this way. They're good at it.

A quick look can catch passwords, account numbers or other information. Always be aware of your surroundings when using your laptop. Assume you're being
watched.

You might want to look into a privacy filter. This is a thin sheet of plastic that attaches to your screen. It severely reduces the viewing angle on your
laptop. You only see the screen when looking at it from straight on. Anyone peeking at an angle will see a black screen. Prices vary by screen size.

Targus,
3M
 and
ViewGuard
 all make privacy filters. Prices vary by screen size. With some bargain shopping you’ll find a 17” filter for around $100.

And of course, never leave your laptop unattended. Even if you need to use the restroom, take it with you.

Encrypt your hard drive

Countless computers are stolen every year. We all have our careless moments. So, despite your best efforts, it could happen. Encrypting your files will
make them unreadable to thieves.

Encryption programs aren't hard to use. I have two free programs on my site,
TrueCrypt
 and
Cryptainer LE
. More extensive programs include
PGP Desktop Home
 ($100) and
PC-Encrypt
 ($50).

With your files encrypted, the only thing you’ve lost is your laptop. That is, of course, if you remembered to make a backup. A laptop is not cheap to replace.
But your data could be priceless. Protecting that data is very important. Back it up!

Have a great trip

One more thing. Some relative is going to want to use your laptop. Set up a Guest Account. That way, you can be generous. You'll know they can't get into
your stuff.

I explained Guest Accounts in
last week's security tip
. It's easy, just like the rest of this stuff.

The holidays are about fun and family. And that’s where your focus should be. Follow this advice and cut down on your computer worries. You’ll be happy
you did.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]