VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 00:38:56 -0500
January 31, 2007 06:22 AM Central Time
NextUp's TextAloud is a Hit with Acclaimed Musician Joey Stuckey
CLEMMONS, N.C. & MACON, Ga.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NextUp's (www.NextUp.com)
TextAloud software continues to find popularity among the visually impaired
for its ease of use and superb voice quality. Most recently, famed blind
musician, producer, and radio personality Joey Stuckey has discovered
TextAloud, and is now an official and enthusiastic endorser.

"We're delighted to have the endorsement of Joey Stuckey, one of the
Southeast's most famous and remarkable people," comments Rick Ellis,
President of NextUp.com. "His use of TextAloud is an example of just how
useful our software can be for those with a visual disability."

TextAloud seamlessly converts text into spoken audio for listening on a
laptop or desktop PC, and can also save text to audio files for playback on
portables like iPods (R) and other devices. Simple and affordable, and with
an array of natural-sounding voices, TextAloud is popular with the visually
impaired, who too often face robotic voices when desiring to listen to books
or articles read aloud.

Stuckey is an award-winning blind guitarist, songwriter, singer, composer,
producer, radio personality, teacher, and sound engineer, who in April 2006
was appointed the official Ambassador of Music for Macon, Georgia by its
Mayor and City Council. He lost his sight and sense of smell as an infant as
the result of a brain tumor, yet is now a successful musician, producer and
entrepreneur who was delighted to discover TextAloud.

"I was very impressed with TextAloud - especially with the quality of its
voices," Stuckey comments. "I have a screen reader for the blind for more
advanced applications, but honestly the sound quality is the pits. I read
several eBooks per week, and if I want to read for pleasure, then I only use
TextAloud!"

While it cannot replace high-end screen readers, TextAloud is a superb
addition to the blind person's arsenal of tools (and is quite accessible for
the blind if used with a minimum of JFW 5.1 or higher). Stuckey adds, "Every
blind person should have TextAloud on their computer - the pronunciation,
voice and audio quality make it the only choice for reading Word, PDF, web,
and other text." Stuckey also values TextAloud's ability to export text in
specific voices to audio files - a great potential tool for people with
blind friends or family, enabling them to send actual audio files to loved
ones. "The voice quality is heaven," he comments. "It allows me to listen to
something I've written, like an article, blog post, radio spot, or lyric,
with a more human voice."

NextUp.com offers TextAloud with optional premium voices, including numerous
accents and languages from AT&T Natural Voices (TM), NeoSpeech (R), Nuance
(R), Acapela (R) and Cepstral (R) for the most natural-sounding computer
speech anywhere.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]