C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:14:21 -0600
Jennifer and Sarita,

"Right hemi" means paralysis or weakness on the right side of the body.
Your son may also have some involvement on his left side too, but the right
side is probably more pronounced.  I'm a left hemi (after a stroke when I
was 16), but i was diagnosed with diplegic CP when I was a baby.  That just
means both of my legs were affected.  I walked when I was three
(unsteadily), but I was talking at 1, and in sentences by 2 or before.  My
wife and I both have CP, and work for a University center on disabilities in
Wyoming. We're in our late 40's now, so went through our early schooling
before there were laws that made education for kids with disabilities a
mandate.  Our parents pushed to have us included, and we were.  I was
involved in basketball and volleyball in grade school (I never had the
eye/hand coordination for baseball) and played touch football.  Full contact
football was not an option because of another medical condition that
probably caused my CP, and was definitely a contributing factor for my later
stroke.

--

Kendall

depends on the unreasonable man.