C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:48:15 -0700
my parents moved the family to california because it was the one of two States in the 1950's to have a headstart program for handicappd kids, so when i as 3, we came here. I went to special schools (gag) until 8th grade, when  was interviewed for a spot at one of the first  mainstreaming programs in 1970. from age 7-18, my mother drove me to after-school speech, math and spelling tutoring at least three times a week. in fact when i think of my childhood, one image i get is of me and mom the B*&^%h in the car. god bless her, but i mean it wasn't much fun. I got pt and ot at school, until 5th grade came and i was still doing the same damn exercises in pt that I'd done 1st,2nd,3rd,and yawn, 4th grade! not very fun or imaginative. and not very helpful. so then at the same center where i got all  my other afterschool stuff,they added pt, but it was very fun and challenging! trampoline, baseball, and in the summer the same guy had his whole family working with
 us at day camp, and twas yonder that i met his daughter kathy who was my age, and she went to hill jr high and she and i became good friends and she intro'd me to her two friends so i actually had a great time in jr high. easier than grade school where I was the 2nd lowest kid on the totem pole in terms of who played with me, and being last chosen for baseball, after working with bob, i hit a homerun at school & everybody was shocked.  bob had worked on my fear of having balls coming  at me. (shut up, deri! haha) it was the talk of school for a week.  the secret, u see, was that ball hit my finger and it hurt so i sank that bat into it like nobody's business.

i was dismayed when i found i wouldn't be going to wilson high, with kathy, or even miliken high with my pal steve from the handicapped program at hill.  no, instead i was sent to the farthest school in long beach, jordan, where i knew nobody, and had crappy teachers, and couldnot keep up with the reading assignments in biology... i got sick with broncitas, was hopelessly behind, and i put my foot down. long story short, i ended up at a private alternative school for tenth grade, then i met lisa, who went to a charter school within a school which was much better, even tho it was in the ghetto of long beach.  all this because wilson high was not accessible.   but i loved SEA school. some popular actors have come from SEA , including cameron diaz, camryn manheim, and others.

I would have liked to not been bused an hoyr away to grade school, i'd much rather have been able to walk one block to school like my sister, i would have hopefully been able to make friends and stand up for myself if need be, i have a second image of my kidhood, and that is being lonely, looking out the window of our L-room, and wishing the girls in my scout troop were my friends... one was, her name was Dodie, and she came over sometimes and tried on my braces, but her being a wee lil thing they were too big but i'll always remember her, she had beautiful golden curls...

my parents fought for me every step when they needed to, i'm so glad i saw this, because it has helped me be an activist and self-advocate.
 but when i was 177 my mom let me know in no uncertain terms that she didn't want me living at home after school. (i thought, you bitch, why would i even want to?!) my dad was the one who was over protective. but bless his soul, he never held me back.
http://www.zazzle.com/TamarMag*
Tamar Mag Raine
www.cafepress.com/tamarmag